Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service is reaching out to students who are heading into accommodation for the new academic year.
Many young people are living away from home for the first time, either in rented property or halls of residence, with new responsibilities when it comes to fire prevention and awareness. National statistics show that many fires at student halls of residence are started by cooking appliances.
This Student Fire Safety Week (25 September-1 October), HWFRS, as part of the Fire Kills campaign, is welcoming students to their new homes with a gentle reminder to stay alert to fire hazards.
Emma Roberts, HWFRS Head of Prevention, said: “When living away from home, it’s important to recognise new fire hazards and take precautions to reduce your risk.
“The majority of fires we attend at student accommodation start in the kitchen, often when someone has become distracted.
“We’re asking students to make sure they don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care if cooking with oil. And don’t cook if under the influence of alcohol.”
We’re urging students to use our top tips for fire safety:
Test smoke alarms regularly.
Keep your student digs smelling fresh with a fragrance spray or reed diffusers rather than candles. If the fire alarm sounds, react quickly and evacuate safely. Ask for advice when unsure about cooking.
Give cooking your full attention.
Never light candles or have open flames in your student housing.
Never cover smoke alarms.
Don’t ignore fire alarms.
Don’t try and cook without a clue, use cook books and ask others instead.
Avoid distractions while cooking and never leave cooking unattended.